Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dark Knight



Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a pretty hard core movie buff. I love all types of film from the silent era on up to the technological marvels that we experience every summer today. My favorite movie of all time is To Kill A Mockingbird from 1962. Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch was my absolute favorite performance in any movie ever and while Mockingbird is still my favorite movie, Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen.

The good:
I hate to sound like a fanboy but this whole movie is freaking amazing. The cast is ridiculously talented.

Christian Bale
Heath Ledger
Michael Caine
Morgan Freeman
Gary Oldman
Aaron Eckhart

The special effects are really well done. The story is very mature and handled in a way that gives this comic book movie a more grown up feel.

The bad.
It seems pretty obvious to me that they were setting it up to have the Joker come back for the next film, but the death of Heath kind of put the breaks on that. I can not imagine anyone that would want to follow him up on that performance. Also, even though I love the fact that this is a dark and sinister take on Batman, I am kind of bummed out that it is too freaky for anyone else in my family to watch with me.

The wrap up.
This is the best movie that I have seen since Pan's Labyrinth. If you think you can handle a gritty take on Gotham City, so not hesitate to see this movie.

10/10

2 comments:

heathcliff said...

I'm surprised this movie is setting box office records. It is good - but not great. Ledger's performance was outstanding, as advertised. Bale consistently sounds like he's gargling gravel as Batman. The climax was too frenetic to follow. I can take or leave Two-Face; although I enjoyed the recurrent theme of 50-50 choices. I started to fidget after the first 2-and-a-half hours: Waaay too long.

Good movie, but not the best of the summer.

Andysbethy said...

I just wanted to say I agree. It was fabulous, and I know that I (or actually, Andy) will own it as soon as it is released. A movie that we both like is a sure fire winner at our house! However, it is sad that it is so dark that Carrie will not watch it. You can come watch it with Andy anytime you want, okay?
Personally, I am slightly in love with Christian Bale.... so that might influence my opinion just a little.
I just like to leave you comments, so that you know that someone reads your blog. Keep up the good work!